You are not logged in.

Announcement

The old forums are still available here! (read-only)

#1 2015-02-09 23:13:51

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

A Debian Stable-based Semplice variant

Those who actively frequent these development boards already know that I have in the plans a Debian stable-based Semplice variant to be maintained alongside the normal, Debian sid-based, one.

Given the recent news regarding Crunchbang, I'm wondering if some of you would like a Debian Jessie-based Semplice version.

Debian 8.0 is going to be released soon and thus the Debian testing repositories are currently pretty similar to the unstable ones, which we use as base.

While I originally planned to create a spin-off based on stable after Debian 9.0 (in 2017), I'm willing to anticipate the work as a "community service" and to fill the void that Crunchbang leaves.

If there is enough demand, I'll consider creating a Debian 8.0 based Semplice variant with the Semplice 7 features.

Do you have the infrastructure ready to create a Debian stable-based variant?
Yes and no. The current infrastructure is pretty flexible, but still some manual work is needed.

Will it be possible to upgrade from the Debian stable-based variant to the standard, Debian sid-based Semplice?
Yes.

Will it be possible to downgrade from the standard, Debian sid-based Semplice, to the Debian stable-based variant?
No.

Will it be possible to upgrade from the latest Crunchbang to the Debian stable-based Semplice variant?
It's up to the community. Every Semplice component it's properly packaged and should not create conflicts with leftovers from Crunchbang.
It will not be a condition I will test and support though.

Will you implement feature X from Crunchbang? And what about feature Y?
Semplice is no Crunchbang. The Debian stable-based variant will be just offer what Semplice 7 offers.
If you have a feature request, just ask. But, of course, it needs to be properly accepted and implemented in the standard Semplice version.

Will you backport features from Semplice 8, 9 and 10 to the Debian-stable based variant?
No.

What's the release cycle of the Debian stable-based variant?
"When it's ready" i.e. after every Debian stable release.

Do you have a timeframe for the first possible release of the Debian stable-based variant?
No, but certainly after the release of Semplice 7 and Debian 8.0.

Before starting, I want to read as much feedback as possible. As I said above, if there is enough demand I'll go ahead and anticipate my plans for this.

Eugenio

Releasing happiness. Blame me on twitter!
Like what I do? Buy me a beer! EUR, USD

#2 2015-02-10 02:16:25

mathiasmck

Re: A Debian Stable-based Semplice variant

It's a great idea. I would love to semplice debian-stable based version. And may be a beta tester if you need. Thanks for the initiative. Sorry for my english. Greetings

#3 2015-02-10 02:53:12

DeepDayze

Sounds like a good idea Eugenio. You would have to merely base this one off the Stable branch and perhaps compile your custom Semplice packages to be compatible with Stable and with everything else the same. This way you can keep your Semplice builds consistent.

What about backporting some of the new features of new Semplice releases (where possible)?

I feel you can win over some of the Crunchbang users with something like this, as they'll be right at home with the Openbox/Tint2 WM, which #! also had used.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2015-02-10 02:54:53)

Real Men use Linux

#4 2015-02-10 05:18:56

Liberto

This is a great idea. One light debian distribution stable version based. I offer myself as tester of beta version.

Sorry for my english.

#5 2015-02-10 09:14:18

wongs

Good idea, if you can afford the time.  There are not many openbox distros with the refinement of crunchbang and semplice. 

However, for myself personally, I already have SolydX on Jessie, which should become Stable soon, so I'm not sure I will go for Jessie semplice. 

For me, the whole attraction of semplice is that it is a rolling Sid distro that doesn't cause me problems when I dist-upgrade.  At most there were maybe 3 issues since version 4, all solved with an inquiry on this forum.

I still have crunchbang 11 on my laptop and it will stay there until Wheezy support is gone. After that, we'll see, but normal Sid-based semplice is already running well there.

#6 2015-02-10 10:48:29

truscellino

Eugenio,

personally I am happy with sid and I wouldn't say it's "unstable" at all, but it's always good to offer choice, for example for those willing to run a server and looking for stable/validated packages (debian validation process is solid, obviously).

I would be happy to help Semplice but I am not a proper developer. Is there any other support that could do, e.g. testing etc.? As everybody, I don't have infinite time availability but community-based projects work with various contributions smile

Cheers, Marc

#7 2015-02-11 00:21:21

andix66

just an opinion from a "normal" user:

what attracts me to semplice is first and foremost is the beautiful interface. it's well done and even if you mixed gtk2 or 3 apps, it looked beautiful and not like an ugly shit and many things just work.
working with an stable, testing or unstable distro is no big point because unstable in debian means not unstable in a literal sense:-)
it's a good opportunity to attract openbox/debian-fans but as wong said "if you can afford the time" and the additional work will not be at the cost of quality.

and more users will mean more users asking questions in forums:-)

#8 2015-02-11 10:18:23

wongs

...working with an stable, testing or unstable distro is no big point because unstable in debian means not unstable in a literal sense:-)

Yes, Sid is not unstable in a descriptive/literal sense, but I have in fact tried other sid distros like siduction/aptosid and a few LinuxBBQ variants, including their Openbox versions.  They all never lasted close to a year on my computer before updates killed them.

Further, for these distros you are advised to check their forums or Debian sites for news of any update problems before each update.  Siduction and aptosid recommend you exit X before updating, inheriting that approach from sidux.  Then there are things like smxi scripts to aid in updates.

I'm sure more knowledgeable people do those things easily and quickly, and can make the above distros work. But I'm not at that level of knowledge and proficiency.

So I use semplice and I find I don't need to do so much pre-update research/prep for each update.

Just a quick check on the semplice forum (which is more often than not quiet!) will do, then d-u.  Much time saved!

I have to say though that siduction's/aptosid's manuals are a great reference.

#9 2015-02-11 13:07:09

blaze

Excellent idea, if it is not too much work for you that draws focus from the development of Semplice "unstable". The timing to do so and anticipate the development of a stable vesion could not be better, so this is indeed a golden opportunity.

...just another openbox lover...

#10 2015-02-11 17:22:48

DeepDayze

wongs wrote:

...working with an stable, testing or unstable distro is no big point because unstable in debian means not unstable in a literal sense:-)

Yes, Sid is not unstable in a descriptive/literal sense, but I have in fact tried other sid distros like siduction/aptosid and a few LinuxBBQ variants, including their Openbox versions.  They all never lasted close to a year on my computer before updates killed them.

Further, for these distros you are advised to check their forums or Debian sites for news of any update problems before each update.  Siduction and aptosid recommend you exit X before updating, inheriting that approach from sidux.  Then there are things like smxi scripts to aid in updates.

I'm sure more knowledgeable people do those things easily and quickly, and can make the above distros work. But I'm not at that level of knowledge and proficiency.

So I use semplice and I find I don't need to do so much pre-update research/prep for each update.

Just a quick check on the semplice forum (which is more often than not quiet!) will do, then d-u.  Much time saved!

I have to say though that siduction's/aptosid's manuals are a great reference.

I've also found Arch Linux wiki also another great reference as they also have parallels to Debian Sid as well, as I've played with Arch before as well, and even familiar with Siduction and Aptosid as I have used both distros in the past (but still have Siduction on another machine)

Real Men use Linux

#11 2015-02-11 18:41:54

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

First of all, thank you everyone for the feedback!

DeepDayze wrote:

Sounds like a good idea Eugenio. You would have to merely base this one off the Stable branch and perhaps compile your custom Semplice packages to be compatible with Stable and with everything else the same. This way you can keep your Semplice builds consistent.

Yes, theoretically it's only a matter of recompiling Semplice packages against (the upcoming) Debian Stable branch.
In future something more automatic (with maybe a Semplice-testing branch in between) will appear, but I first need to rewrite the entire infrastructure (which is a task that will happen regardless of the fate of the idea we are discussing in this topic) and currently I prefer keep the focus on the distribution experience and quality.

DeepDayze wrote:

What about backporting some of the new features of new Semplice releases (where possible)?

I don't think that will happen (not only for time constraints: the codebase in the next few Semplice release will have many changes and that will make backporting more difficult, expecially when you have a level of stability to guarantee) but we'll see in the coming months.

mathiasmck wrote:

And may be a beta tester if you need.

Liberto wrote:

I offer myself as tester of beta version.

truscellino wrote:

I would be happy to help Semplice but I am not a proper developer. Is there any other support that could do, e.g. testing etc.? As everybody, I don't have infinite time availability but community-based projects work with various contributions smile

Yes, testing is a core part of the development of this variant. I everything goes well with the Semplice 7 (unstable-based) final release, I will probably simply release the Stable-based variant without even calling for a round of beta testing (the current 7-preview is doing its job really well in this regard).
The thing that matters is the "testing" that is done AFTER the release.
That should be hassle-free because Debian Stable is Debian Stable smile , but it's still a thing to look at nevertheless.
I can't change my habits and use daily the stable-based variant so someone that can provide feedback on how the stable-based variant behaves in the field it's greatly appreciated.

Eugenio

Last edited by g7 (2015-02-11 18:45:11)

#12 2015-02-12 22:23:34

fanky

YES, a semplice version based on debian stable! I will use it definitly!!

I believe that during the next days a lot of current Crunchbang Users will land on the semplice homepage.
I am one of them. Because i am searching for a new distribution to go on over the next years.
I have tested the semplice 7 preview and its unbelievable beautiful, easy to handle and simply perfect.
The only thing i am worried about is this unstable thing. I just need a few everyday programs on a nice and fast runnning system, and thats it. No bleeding edge is necessary for me. The thing i loved with crunchbang was, that getting all necessary security updates had been just three clicks in Synaptic: update, mark all updates, go! And the system was running fast and easy and secure again.
I am bit afraid that using the "normal" sid based semplice will be some more time consuming for me, as i am not a developer but just an user.
So finally: i think semplice based on stable will reach the top ten in distrowatch, surely!

#13 2015-02-13 02:14:56

DeepDayze

Welcome to Semplice, fanky smile

I also am on the Crunchbang forum but haven't posted there much, but I have mentioned 2 alternative distros for #! users there and Semplice is one. Now that Eugenio is floating the idea of a Stable-based Semplice this surely would be the cat's meow for those  Crunchbangers looking for a new home.

Semplice (the standard Sid-based release) is in itself quite solid so the Stable based one will be as solid as Crunchbang was.

Maybe Eugenio could slip in the dark theme that made #! so famous smile

Last edited by DeepDayze (2015-02-13 02:16:52)

Real Men use Linux

#14 2015-02-13 23:13:58

percivjr

DeepDayze wrote:

I also am on the Crunchbang forum but haven't posted there much, but I have mentioned 2 alternative distros for #! users there and Semplice is one. Now that Eugenio is floating the idea of a Stable-based Semplice this surely would be the cat's meow for those  Crunchbangers looking for a new home.

Semplice (the standard Sid-based release) is in itself quite solid so the Stable based one will be as solid as Crunchbang was.

Meow, another Crunchbang refugee here.

I'd certainly appreciate a stable-based version. And +1 for the dark theme.

Also, happy to join the queue of beta testers!!

#15 2015-02-14 02:33:46

DeepDayze

percivjr wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Meow, another Crunchbang refugee here.

I'd certainly appreciate a stable-based version. And +1 for the dark theme.

Also, happy to join the queue of beta testers!!

Welcome to the crowd smile

I'm sure Corenominal would have no problem letting Eugenio use his simple dark #! theme as an option for Semplice Stable smile

Last edited by DeepDayze (2015-02-14 02:34:43)

Real Men use Linux

#16 2015-04-09 06:36:24

wongs

I'm revisiting this topic now that Semplice 7 is officially out (which I'll try this weekend). 

Since the crunchbang announcement was first made, their community has taken steps to enable  crunchbang to continue in some form (bunsen labs). However, it looks like some work still has to be done by the user to get the whole look in place, since it consists of a debian netinstall and then running some scripts.

I think a Semplice stable is a good idea but Semplice should keep its identity and look.  It has developed to be a colourful, more GUI-based and less minimalistic openbox distro.  There is a nice GUI installer.

I 'm thinking just having a grey-scale variant of your SempliceNightDarkest theme, together with perhaps the crunchbang variant of the faenza icon set, could be sufficient for users who miss the monochrome look of #!.

#17 2015-04-09 15:37:15

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

Thanks for your thoughts.

The only thing that will differ in the hypotetical Debian-stable variant is the base. It took a lot of time to shape Semplice in the way it is now and its identity and look will be kept, otherwise it won't be a worthy of the Semplice name smile

In all fairness, I think that a stabler Semplice variant should get more development in the "easy-of-use field", as it will potentially appeal to more people.

Eugenio

#18 2015-04-09 16:53:47

Flynn

g7 wrote:

In all fairness, I think that a stabler Semplice variant should get more development in the "easy-of-use field", as it will potentially appeal to more people.

Especially all the "lost" CrunchBang-User.

I think, Semplice "stable" can fill a gap which has originated by CrunchBang.
Funnily: SolusOS, Debian stable: given up. CrunchBang, Debian stable: given up.

Both distributions were very successful (Top 20) in the DW ranking (I know, does not have to say a lot), but a Semplice based on the stable brunch can make Semplice more famous in the public perception.

I would be VERY MUCH for a Semplice stable and would also act with pleasure as a tester.

Greetz
Flynn

#19 2015-04-09 17:43:17

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

Hello Flynn and thanks for the feedback smile

Hopefully it won't be that difficult to properly maintain the stable variant once the infrastructure is in place - thus I hope to not give up with development (unless I give up on the standard Semplice too big_smile)

Eugenio

#20 2015-05-12 17:38:39

z12go

Coming from #!
..and bunsen didnt seem ready so far.. well, I would like to have semplice stable branch.
(just instelled semplice and think its vanilla)

#21 2015-05-13 12:43:13

yerc

Awesome!!! is what I describe Semplice.

I'm surprised it's not getting much press that it deserves.

I too would like to see a Debian Stable-based Semplice variant.

#22 2015-05-13 22:48:26

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

Thank you both and welcome to the forums smile

The Debian stable-based variant, given the feedback, is likely to happen. I'll share more informations in the summer smile

Eugenio

#23 2015-05-29 17:58:20

Flynn

Semplice7 based on the stable brunch sounds really great for me, especially because I'd like to use it in business. The look'n'feel of the current Semplice release is really awesome, fresh and lightweight. #! was my favourite distribution for years (no more distro-hopping since #!) and I think, Semplice could take this place and fill the gap. IMHO. In my perception Openbox gives the really best Linux-experience.

You guys from the Semplice team makes a real great job!

#24 2015-05-31 05:06:03

DeepDayze

Nice to see Eugenio stepping up to the plate to help the Crunchbangers get a new home smile

Real Men use Linux

#25 2015-07-15 15:43:23

Flynn

Is there something new from the stable front?

Board footer