You are not logged in.

Announcement

The old forums are still available here! (read-only)

#1 2015-04-08 23:07:24

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

Semplice 7 released!

It's that time of the year again! Semplice 7 "Comfortably Numb" just got released!

Learn more at http://semplice-linux.org/blog/2015/04/ … 7-released

Rock on!
Eugenio

Releasing happiness. Blame me on twitter!
Like what I do? Buy me a beer! EUR, USD

#2 2015-04-09 05:19:49

pressanykey

Re: Semplice 7 released!

High School exams!! Kudos to YOU!! I have got to try this!! This distro looks interesting.

#3 2015-04-09 06:54:49

pressanykey

Kool! I'm in Live booted from a usb. After booting from the usb, grub displays a Live (and installation) menu entry and I have wireless access OTB from the desktop! As well as music and video! No graphics issues with my nVidia card. In a quick test of settings and and a few applications, nothing disuades me from wanting to install this. I have an old laptop needing a refresh.

I like where you are going with vera; I just start typing from the desktop and a selection of apps appears to choose from; much better than memorizing and drilling down through menus IMHO. And, very light on resources; in my 64-bit Live from usb, < 300 MB ram (not counting memory used by lxtask).

Nicely done and put together!

+1

#4 2015-04-09 15:14:48

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

Thank you smile Enjoy!

Eugenio

#5 2015-04-09 21:15:29

hinto

Just ran it up in a virtual machine....
Time for me to distro hop to it.
Great job!
-H

"How delighted would be all the kings, czars and fuhrers of the past and commissars of the present to know that censorship is not a necessity when all political discourse takes the form of a jest." Neil Postman

#6 2015-04-09 21:37:48

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

Great wink Have fun!

Eugenio

#7 2015-04-10 09:34:32

darry1966

Congratuations on the new release been using Semplice since version 2

#8 2015-04-10 22:58:41

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

Awesome! Thank you smile

Eugenio

#9 2015-04-11 19:27:14

DeepDayze

Congrats on a fine release, so now looking forward to Semplice 8 smile

Real Men use Linux

#10 2015-04-12 13:11:29

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

Obviously wink

Thanks!

Eugenio

#11 2015-04-13 20:30:33

graywolf

Eugenio:

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Been using since 6, really like what you've done.  I'm usually a KDE guy but got hooked on Openbox with Semplice 6 and prize it for its ease-of-use. 

Semplice 7 is very refined.  It rocks on my older Sony Pentium 4 HT (3.2 gHz) 32bit desktop.  Getting harder and harder to find 32bit distro's.  Like I should throw out a 10 year old machine that stills smokes most newer machines???

Appreciate all your hard work, really enjoying the new DTE.

GW

#12 2015-04-14 22:03:06

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

Thank you, and I agree with you on the 32bit distro thing (and no, we won't drop it in the future! smile )

In other news, I have released 7.0.1. If someone had problems booting Semplice 7, this new ISO image will probably work.

Eugenio

#13 2015-04-15 22:41:25

anamesa

Congrats. My Semlice 6 installation got upgraded to 7.0, but of course (i think) w/o the candy (vera). Anyway, I'll make a fresh install to another laptop and maybe to my netbook. Thank you for your time and efforts.

#14 2015-04-16 07:25:38

wongs

anamesa wrote:

Congrats. My Semlice 6 installation got upgraded to 7.0, but of course (i think) w/o the candy (vera). Anyway, I'll make a fresh install to another laptop and maybe to my netbook. Thank you for your time and efforts.

Did you run this:

sudo apt-get install meta-openbox

after the normal dist-upgrade? (see here: https://github.com/semplice/releasenote … /numb/7.md )

Because when I did that on my laptop, I did get all the "candy". 

When I rebooted, I got the new intro asking me to right click on the desktop to bring up the normal openbox menu, and then to start typing to activate the vera launcher.

It even activated the new theme and icon set without me doing anything, which I was less keen on because I liked the older Semplice theme.  :-P   (the theme is still present though, and you can restore the old look to some extent, after installing obconf, and tweaking one setting on the old Semplice conky)

#15 2015-04-16 20:49:55

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

Yes, a wongs said, you must ensure to upgrade meta-openbox (which is not upgraded automatically during the dist-upgrade because it wants to replace pcmanfm with pcmanfm-semplice).

You may also have the "Openbox" session set in the login greeter. If that's the case, a dialog should have shown up telling you to choose the "Vera" session instead.

wongs wrote:

It even activated the new theme and icon set without me doing anything, which I was less keen on because I liked the older Semplice theme.  :-P   (the theme is still present though, and you can restore the old look to some extent, after installing obconf, and tweaking one setting on the old Semplice conky)

We try not to force the new settings over the old ones during upgrades (except when it's needed). In the Vera case, the new theme and settings were reset because we are talking about a new desktop environment entirely. The difference may be subtle from a user POV, but under-the-hood many things changed.
For example, GTK+ settings are stored in dconf and exported via the XSETTINGS protocol, so no gtkrc file is used anymore (and this also makes running applications react immediately to theme changes).
That's why the new theme and icon set were set automatically -- there weren't any old settings to use, and vera pulled in the defaults smile

Eugenio

#16 2015-04-17 06:19:58

wongs

We try not to force the new settings over the old ones during upgrades (except when it's needed)...

Just some good-natured ribbing, Eugenio.  I know the big changes necessitated the new settings.  smile

#17 2015-04-23 04:15:12

configX

I'm absolutely impressed, Eugenio. I'm not even sure how this distro isn't ranked higher on Distrowatch. So far my experience with Semplice 7 has been shockingly problem-free for the most part considering I installed it on a Chromebook. I always usually run into problems with other distros. The only minor hiccup that I encountered so far was when the installer failed to select the fastest mirror at the end.

If I may, I wanted to offer a few positive and constructive remarks about my experience so far:

* REALLY liking vera more than any other DE that I've used lately. It still has some minor rough edges but for the most part it's running nicely and is quite polished considering its young age.
* The introduction/tutorial at the beginning is a nice touch and fairly novel as I have yet to see any other distro do that so elegantly. Great job!
* The window title bars are a bit big for my liking, especially when screen real estate is precious but it's not a big deal.
* For some reason nothing shows up when clicking on Help > About in PCManFM...
* The default theme is very nice and I like how the selection color changes based on the wallpaper. Another novel idea!
* I would have liked to see HexChat installed instead of Xchat but that easy to change.
* Super happy to see ROXTerm as the default terminal, great choice!
* The app launcher is fantastic! Well done.
* I'd love to see some more settings to fine-tune the system more...such as the menu and shortcuts/keybindings. Also for some reason the icons didn't change in the settings window after selecting a different icon theme. They changed elsewhere though.

Anyhow, keep up the great work! I look forward to being more involved with the community and helping in any way I can.

Thanks for the excellent distro!

#18 2015-04-23 11:59:06

antonio

Its an almost perfect distro for me and like the guy above have said I do not know why this isnt ranked higher in distrowatch. (Well, this way we can boast about being alternative). Just had a problem with Pragha and Clementine (my technical skills are as bad as my english, so I will not go into details), but Quod Libet is ok too and it si working perfectly.
Thanks a lot for your work.

#19 2015-04-23 16:21:16

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

Thank you both for the kind words smile I hope you'll enjoy Semplice as much as I have developing it smile

configX wrote:

* The window title bars are a bit big for my liking, especially when screen real estate is precious but it's not a big deal.

You can edit the Openbox theme that you find at ~/.themes/Zukitre-Vera/openbox-3/themerc.vera-color-base. Modifying the padding.height property will make the the theme more compact/more "relaxed".
Note that the themerc.vera-color-base file is probably a symlink to the very same file in /usr/share/themes/Zukitre-Vera/openbox-3, so you may want to copy the real file in ~/.themes instead of editing the symlink.
After you have edited the theme, you should execute

openbox-vera-color

from a terminal (or change the wallpaper to trigger a rebuild of the theme).

You can also reduce the font size by editing ~/.config/vera/openbox/rc.xml.

configX wrote:

* For some reason nothing shows up when clicking on Help > About in PCManFM...

It seems to be a bug with PCManFM compiled against GTK+3. I'll have a look into it, but it's definitely low priority.

configX wrote:

* I would have liked to see HexChat installed instead of Xchat but that easy to change.

Yes, HexChat will probably take the place of XChat in Semplice 8.

configX wrote:

* I'd love to see some more settings to fine-tune the system more...such as the menu and shortcuts/keybindings. Also for some reason the icons didn't change in the settings window after selecting a different icon theme. They changed elsewhere though.

Uh, good catch. They did change in previous development snapshots, so it must be a regression of some sort. I'll take a look into it smile

More settings will be made easily editable in Semplice 8, expecially the ones regarding the WM. Unfortunately due to time constraint I haven't managed to implement them in time for Semplice 7.

antonio wrote:

Just had a problem with Pragha and Clementine (my technical skills are as bad as my english, so I will not go into details)

If you feel like to explain the issue feel free to do so! And don't worry, my English isn't the best either wink

Eugenio

#20 2015-05-09 17:31:45

anamesa

wongs wrote:
anamesa wrote:

Did you run this:

sudo apt-get install meta-openbox

after the normal dist-upgrade? (see here: https://github.com/semplice/releasenote … /numb/7.md )

Because when I did that on my laptop, I did get all the "candy".

Thank you for you reply, my post is a bit obsolete by now, since:
I saw the directions right after my initial post on the forums and now the candy is there.

One thing I'm sceptical about in vera environment is that on one hand it's nice to have a search engine so beautifully integrated with the desktop, so as to be able to launch every app you wish; on the other hand, though, if an open window exists on the desktop, then by typing you don't get the popup on top, but under the window. I prefer the shortcut Alt+F2 or equivalent (Super + R, etc).

#21 2015-05-10 12:10:16

g7
Drink Drank Drunk
Website

Yup, the launcher is mostly a proof of concept than anything. In the future it will be possible to invoke it even when another application is over it.

Eugenio

Board footer